Laser Vision Correction
Eye Care Specialists invites you to learn more about LASER VISION CORRECTION.
LASIK, Laser-In-Situ Keratomileusis works in 3 simple steps:
1. The first step in the LASIK process is the creation of the corneal flap. At Eye Care Specialists, we use the blade-free INTRALASE laser. This laser creates a thinner, more precise flap, which allows the tissue to grow back faster and stronger than the older microkeratome (blade) method.
2. Next, a different laser is used to re-shape the corneal tissue and any irregularities . We use only the proven best, the ALLEGRETTO WAVE, one of the fastest, safest lasers on the market today. When deciding where to go for your laser eye surgery, always be aware of the technology offered you potential surgeon. We urge our patients to do their research, being well-informed can truly guarantee a stress-free surgical experience.
3. The final step involves placing the flap back down into place, where it bonds quickly. Thankfully, the eye is one of the fastest healing parts of the body, so most people can return to work the next day.
Occasionally, a patient will not be a LASIK candidate, but will however qualify for the alternative, PRK procedure. This usually happens when the cornea is thin and therefore would not be safe for step 1 in LASIK surgery.
PRK is an excellent and safe way to correct a refractive error such as an astigmatism or near-sighted vision.
PRK, Photorefractive Keratectomy works in 2 simple steps:
1. Step one is very similar to step 2 in LASIK surgery. Without creating a corneal flap, the ALLEGRETTO WAVE laser is applied to the surface of the eye to re-shape corneal tissue and correct irregularities.
2. The second and final step is the insertion of a temporary bandage contact lens. This contact lens helps the healing process, it acts as an artificial corneal flap, it will protect the eye. Since there is no natural corneal flap, the healing process is slightly longer in PRK than LASIK.
The Quincy Laser Eye Center
LASIK and PRK procedures are done at The Quincy Laser Eye Center, seen below. At Eye Care Specialists, we do our best to ensure a stress-free experience, the laser center is convenient to the city of Boston as well as the suburbs of eastern Massachusetts. Equipt with wireless internet and refreshments, our patients and there drivers are free to relax in a tranquil environment while they await their procedure.
LASER REFRACTIVE EYE SURGERY TIMELINE
1975—– THE FIRST EXCIMER LASER IS PRODUCED BY IBM.
1983—– SCIENTISTS EXPLORE THE USE OF THE LASER ON COW’S
1985—– GERMAN OPHTHALMOLOGIST USES EXCIMER LASER ON
1988—– U.S. SURGEON USES EXCIMER LASER TO CORRECT REFRACTIVE
1990—– FIRST LASIK IS PERFORMED IN ITALY AND GREECE.
1991—– LASIK CORRECTION IS PERFORMED UNDER FDA CLINICAL
1999—– FDA APPROVES FIRST EXCIMER LASER FOR LASIK SURGERY.
2001—– LASIK VISION CORRECTION IS THE MOST COMMON ELECTIVE
2002—– FDA APPROVES FIRST CUSTOMIZED WAVEFRONT-GUIDED
LASIK VISION CORRECTION APPLICATION.
2003—– CUSTOM LASIK BECOMES WIDELY AVAILABLE IN THE WORLD.
An average of 12 million LASIK procedures have been performed since the surgery was approved.
Think you can’t afford LASER Refractive Eye Surgery? Think again!
LASER Eye Surgery is without a doubt, a big expense. Unfortunately the cost causes many to pass on this life-changing opportunity. At Eye Care Specialists we understand the importance of cost when choosing a surgeon. We believe LASER Eye Surgery is an amazing procedure and should be affordable for everyone. That is why we’ve put together a list of suggestions to make paying for your surgery easy and stress-free.
FINANCING: Eye Care Specialists uses CARECREDIT, the nation’s leading patient payment program which offers a full range of 0% interest and extended payment plans. With CARECREDIT, you pay no up-front costs, no pre-payment penalties and no fees. It only takes a few minutes to apply, which can be done via phone or internet, in most cases, you receive an answer right away. See if you qualify now, it’s that easy.
FLEX SPENDING ACCOUNT: One of the most popular ways to reduce the total cost of LASIK is to use an employer-provided flexible spending account. These accounts allow the employee to set aside pre-tax dollars for approved medical expenses. Depending on income, this benefit can save patients as much as $2000.00! Check with your human resources department or the benefits office at your place of employment to see if this is available to you. Remember to plan ahead, money must be placed in these accounts months ahead of the time of service.
CREDIT CARD: Many patients use credit cards to pay for their procedures and this can be very beneficial for patients who have benefits on their credit cards, such as airline miles. At Eye Care Specialists, we accept all major Credit Cards.
BANK LOAN: If CareCredit is not an option for you, approach your bank instead. Inquire about a personal loan or a line of credit. Interest rates will vary depending on the length of the loan, but it is suggested that you go with the shortest loan term that has monthly payments you can afford.
INSURANCE SPECIAL: Although Laser Eye Surgery is considered to be cosmetic and as a result is not fully covered by most insurance plans, more and more health plans are now offering partial payment for LASIK/PRK patients. Even if we are not a direct provider on your plan, we will happily review your options and make every attempt to honor your benefit allowance.
INTERNET SPECIALS: Did you know you can follow Eye Care Specialists on FACEBOOK? “Like” us and gain access to the many deals and discounts we offer our fans!
TAX DEDUCTION: Vision correction or eyelid surgery is deductible from your Federal taxes, if you itemized your medical expenses and they are greater than 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. Consult your tax advisor or accountant to see if you qualify.
TAX REFUND: Tax refunds often provide a nice source of unexpected cash that you can invest in yourself! If you know that you are going to be getting a tax refund, come in for a free consultation and find out if you are a candidate for LASIK. We can even use a “no money down, 0% interest plan” to help you get treated today and pay with your tax refund tomorrow.
HOME EQUITY LOAN: You may want to consider a home equity loan for payment. The interest paid may be tax deductible. Please check with your financial advisor for more details.
CORPORATE VISION PLAN: Many companies seek preferential arrangements with Eye Care Specialists to enhance the visual performance and well-being of their staff. You can easily set up a Corporate Vision Program by speaking with a LASIK Consultant, call 781.769.8880 for more information about this great opportunity.
If you are a preliminary candidate you will be invited to schedule a FREE LASIK EVALUATION with Dr. George Frangieh at Boston’s Premiere LASIK Center, Eye Care Specialists. Click here for the SELF-EVALUATION TEST.