Can Visual Exercises Be Just As Good As Eye LASIK Surgery?
Through eye LASIK surgery, many vision problems can be corrected, but there are certain exercises that may be used to help strengthen eyes and alleviate some symptoms. However, it should be noted that these exercises may only help with certain symptoms such as eyestrain, sensitivity to light, and headaches, but will not help with dyslexia or excessive blinking and/or squinting. These symptoms could be related to the basic anatomy or shape of the eye, which determines your basic refractive error. No amount of exercises can help with that. These exercises also cannot positively impact near or farsightedness the way eye LASIK surgery can.
However, there is no harm in trying these exercises in an attempt to reduce eyestrain or help with tired eyes. The following are designed to improve focus, stimulate the vision areas of the brain, and all around strengthen eye muscles:
• Find an object that is over 150 feet away and begin to focus on it. Stay focused on the object for at least ten seconds. Then move your focus to a closer object less than 30 feet away and visually concentrate on it for ten seconds. Repeat the process at least five times, moving back and forth between the two objects.
• Look for a completely blank wall and sit ten to fifteen feet away from it. Stare intently at it, pretending to write on the wall by moving your eyes, but being sure to not move your head. Begin with small sized writing, but move up gradually. The bigger the letters, the more positive effect this exercise will have on your eyes.
• Try holding a pen or pencil in front of you at about arm’s length. Slowly move it towards your face while following it with your eyes. Try to repeat this exercise at least ten times.
• You can practice rhythmic movements with your eyes by focusing on an object that is ten to fifteen feet away. Next, sway your body back and forth while continuing to focus on the object. Try doing this for at least two to three minutes.
• You can try closing one eye and slowly drawing a figure eight with your head. Alternate between eyes for two to three minutes apiece.
To relieve eye strain try these methods:
• Rub your palms together to create heat, placing them against your eyes for five seconds. Repeat this exercise at least three times.
• Use your imagination and pretend you’re standing in front of a large clock, starring right at the middle, where the hour and minute hands meet. Move your focus out to one of the hour marks without moving your head, bringing your vision back to the middle of clock each time. Repeat this for every hour mark.
• Roll your eyes by looking up and then slowly circling 10 times clockwise and 10 times counterclockwise.
• Try messaging your temples by using your thumb knuckle. Message your temples in small circles, 20 times in one direction and 20 times in the other. Repeat this above the mid-point of the eyebrows at the forehead, then below the eyes on both sides of the bridge of the nose.
• Take mini-naps by putting your head back, closing your eyes, and relaxing for 3 minutes.
No, you’re more than likely not going to cure any real medical issues using these eye exercises, but you will strengthen your eye muscles and relieve eye strain. If you are having issues with your vision, please contact the trained professionals at the Eye Care Specialists today, and see how eye LASIK surgery can change your life.